- When Tacloban was recently hit by the strong storm surge months ago, many lives were lost & that includes many livelihoods & opportunities lost. Though this might have been what most people think, one particular restaurant took its chance & risk by bringing what is seemingly lost & gone by bringing the Tacloban cuisine & serving food dishes here in Cebu, that’s when the Calle Z Cafe opens its doors in Cebu.
Located at the SSY building along La Guardia across JY Square Mall & beside Nuat Thai is where the cozy restaurant is found.
They serve mostly Filipino dishes with cooking style from Tacloban, in fact, their chefs came all the way from Tacloban to cook your favorite dish.
Their specialty & recommended dish is the Crispy Pork Tenga, it is a deep fried porks ear cook to a crisp & tasty dish similar to a chicharon. It is much crunchier when actually chewed because most of the parts of the pork’s ear are mostly skin parts. You’ll definitely love it and it is a must try.
Next is their lechon kawali which is already a popular Filipino food & they made this just with the right taste & flavour.
Then the Pork Bulalo which is personally one of my favorites since it is cooked in a way that is similar when you are at home or homecooked, it really brings you that familiar taste fresh from your own home kitchen.
For those who are not into meat & a bit health conscious. & still want to experience Tacloban way of cooking ,then the Bangus Sisig is for you, cooked in a regular sisig but instead of minced pork. Minced bangus is used so you don’t have to worry about bones. It tastes very good & not to oily, it is a must try.
Sweet & sour pork is ok but not the best. Needs improvement in balancing the sweetness & texture. Though presentation is quite good.
Fried shrimp is not also good. It is dry & the shrimp is not juicy when you open it. Better made gambas out of it instead.
Pancit bihon is ok though it needs more seasoning or herbs to avoid that same common taste like most pancit in other restaurants. Make it less dry & add more spices to it will definitely make it worthwhile.
Tacloban’s Calle Z Cafe Restaurant Now in Cebu
Overall, food is great in their meat dishes department & great if you are looking for a more secluded location away from malls & can still eat Filipino foods.
1. Try Crispy Tenga & Bangus Sisig, simply the best
2. They are open from 12nn to 1am.
3. They serve alcoholic beverages, for pulutan refer to #1
4. They are located beside a spa (Nuat Thai) so you can have a massage after you’re done eating.
5. They cater to occasions (Parties, birthdays, etc)