- 8 oz. bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or to taste
- 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
- whole fresh green chilies (optional)
- 2 pounds squash cubes (about 1.5″ cubes, peeled)
- 3/4 pound long beans or green beans
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon and all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Cook the diced onion and minced garlic in the grease or oil until onions are translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the fish sauce, stir, and cook for another minute until onions start to brown.
- Add the coconut milk and green chili (if using). Stir and continue to cook until the liquid reduces to a thick sauce, about 10 minutes. Finally, add the squash cubes and beans. Stir, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add half of the crisp bacon and stir. Adjust seasoning and serve topped with the remaining bacon.