- 1 tbsp rice cooking wine (Shaoxing if available)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch (corn starch can be substituted)
- 12 ounces flank or skirt steak 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices cut against the grain
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch (corn starch can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thinly sliced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 2 tbsp sliced scallions (white) for saute
- 1 tbsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp sliced scallions (green) for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients for the velveting mixture in a bowl and mix well.
- Add sliced beef to mixture, mixing well and allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in another bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat until it begins to shimmer. It should be about 350 degrees.
- Add the beef to the pan and quickly fry it for 1-2 minutes until beef is almost done and the exterior has turned nicely brown.
- Remove the beef from the pan and place over a wire grate to allow it to drain.
- Pour the oil out of the pan, reserving 2 tablespoons. Rinse the pan with water, getting rid of any excess residue by scraping the pan. Dry pan and return to heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of oil back to the pan. Add in ginger, garlic and scallions(white). Saute for about 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Return beef to pan along with broccoli florets and peppercorns. Saute for about 1 minute then add in the sauce mixture.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until the sauce mixture thickens. Serve and garnish with scallions (green)