- 1 (8 oz.) package softened cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 (12 oz.) package wonton wraps
- Vegetable oil (enough to fill a saucepan with 2-3 inches of oil.)
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Mix the powdered sugar and softened cream cheese together until well combined. (No need to use a mixer, especially if the cream cheese is nice and soft!)
- Lay out about 4 wontons at a time and cover the remaining with a dish towel (they dry out quickly).
- Fill a small bowl with water and set near the wontons.
- Place about a ½ teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in the middle of each wonton.
- Dip your fingers into the water and fold the wontons diagonally to form a triangle. Seal tightly, ensuring that there are no air bubbles.
- Dip your fingers back into the water. With the longest side of the triangle facing you, fold the left side to the right, and then fold the left side over it, to the right.
- Repeat until all wontons are filled and wrapped!
- To Fry:
- Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a large saucepan until it is just under 350 degrees. (I put my electric stove to just under the medium-high mark).
- You can use an extra wonton wrapper to test the temperature. Place it in the oil and ensure that it doesn’t cook too quickly or burn. Adjust the heat accordingly if needed.
- Fry 4-5 wontons at a time, each for about 45 seconds to a minute, (or until golden brown).
- They may want to stick to the bottom of the pan at first but if you let them be, they should pop up after they fry for little bit. Once they do, gently flip them so that they fry evenly on the top and the bottom.
- Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to cool. (The hard part is resisting the urge to pop one in your mouth before it cools a little!)
- To Bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the sheet in the oven for about 5 minutes. Heating the sheet will ensure that the wontons are nice and crisp on the bottom when they bake, and don’t end up too soft.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place the wontons on top. Coat the wontons with a light layer of nonstick cooking spray.
- The wontons will need to bake for about 10-12 minutes, however it’s best to start checking on them around the 5 minute mark. Remove them from the oven when they are crisp and golden brown.