- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into strips
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, about 2-3 cups
FOR THE TERIYAKI CHICKEN
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- To make the teriyaki chicken, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, honey and 1 cup water; bring to a simmer. Stir in cornstarch mixture until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes; let cool to room temperature. Reserve 1/4 cup and set aside.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine soy sauce mixture and chicken; marinate for at least 30 minutes to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Place broccoli florets into a steamer or colander set over a pan of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5 mins, or until cooked through and vibrant green; set aside.
- Divide rice into meal prep containers. Top with bell peppers and broccoli with chicken and reserved soy sauce mixture, sesame seeds and green onion, if desired.