- 1 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 40 fresh Prince Edward Island Mussels, shells scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large oven-safe frying pan, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Check that all of the mussels’ shells are closed firmly. Discard any that are not closed. Place the rest in a single layer in the tomato sauce. Stir. Top with the mozzarella and then with the breadcrumbs. Bake until mussels are opened and crumbs are brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil leaves, if using.