- 2/3 cup cornstarch (use arrowroot powder for paleo)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 pieces), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- **4 – 6 dried red chili peppers (to taste) found in Asian supermarkets or the International section of a large chain grocery store – see NOTE)
- 2/3 cup roasted cashews (or roasted peanuts)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped into halves
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce (use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos for paleo if necessary)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey (use raw for paleo)
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce (use gluten free or a homemade paleo
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (use tapioca starch or arrowroot powder for paleo)
- 3 tablespoons water
For meal prep
- Cooked rice, quinoa or noodles
- Lunch containers
- In a large zip-top bag, toss in chicken, cornstarch and black pepper. Shake until well-coated.
- Make the sauce In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce, set aside.
- Slow Cooker
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken into the slow cooker and pour sauce over top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2.5 – 4 hours or HIGH for 1.5 – 3 hours. (SEE NOTES)
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker. Toss in the dried red chili peppers, red bell peppers, zucchini and cashews, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for another 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened up.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over zoodles, cauliflower rice, quinoa or your favorite rice.
- Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot to saute. Allow pan to heat up for a few minutes. Add oil. Cook chicken in batches (placing the browned chicken on a paper-towel lined plate) about 3-4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Once all the chicken is browned, add back to the Instant Pot and pour sauce over top.
- Close and seal Instant Pot.
- Set on high for 3 minutes, let naturally release for 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a large serving plate or bowl.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute. Toss in the zucchini, bell peppers and dried red chili peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Combine the corn starch with water and stir into the Instant Pot. Allow the sauce to bubble and thicken up. Return chicken back to the pot and cook for another 1-2 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over rice, quinoa or zoodles, if desired.
- For meal prep
- Cook rice and divide evenly into lunch containers. Add chicken, cover and store in fridge for up to 4 days.