Almond and rose water combine perfectly in these light and fluffy Basbousa style cakes.
Prep Time: 25 MIN
Total Time: 2 HR 30 MIN
1 box (500g) Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ White Cake Mix
80ml vegetable oil
3 egg whites
150g ground almonds
100g granulated sugar
3 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon rose water
1 sachet (35g) Betty Crocker™ Homestyle Whipping Cream Mix
115ml Cold milk
16 blanched almonds, roasted
23cm square cake pan
Electric mixer or whisk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 23cm square cake pan with butter; lightly sprinkle with flour.
- Beat cake mix, oil, 275ml water and egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in ground almonds with large spoon, then pour into pan
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan; remove to cooling rack positioned over plate.
- Heat sugar and 3 tablespoons water in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Heat to boiling; cook 2 minutes, then stir in rose water. Remove from heat. Pierce cake all over with toothpick, then slowly pour over or brush with sugar syrup. Cool completely on rack.
- Beat whipping cream mix and cold milk in medium bowl as directed on package. Spoon into decorating bag fitted with star tip.
- Cut cake into squares; top each serving with a roasted almond. Top with whipped cream.
Rose water can be stronger or weaker in different products. Start with a little in the sugar syrup, then increase if you find you would like it stronger. Serve alongside some fruit of your choice.