- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2.5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 (4 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Place egg in a second bowl. Set both aside.
- Chop the spinach and saute it with the garlic and just a drizzle of olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until just barely wilted. Combine the sauteed spinach with the ricotta, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Grease the bottom of a baking dish (I used a loaf pan) and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place one piece of chicken on a flat working surface. Put a spoonful of ricotta-spinach filling right in the middle and roll the chicken up so that the edges meet to form a “seam”. Dip the entire chicken roll in egg, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Place in a baking dish, seam side down. Repeat for the remaining 3 pieces of chicken. Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, the chicken should be cooked through and browned on the top. Cover the chicken with the marinara sauce and slices of fresh Mozzarella. Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melting. Sprinkle with fresh basil.