- 1 fairly large bitter melon, halved lengthwise, cleaned, and sliced into thin half-moon pieces
- 1 red egg, chopped
- handful of rock salt to rinse the bitter melon with
- 2 stalks scallions, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- dash of nam pla or light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. calamansi juice (2 calamansi)
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Put sliced bitter melon in a colander. Add a small handful of rock salt and squeeze/rub into the bitter melon until some of the juice is expelled. Rinse, drain, and squeeze out excess water.
- Combine bitter melon, tomatoes, onions, scallions, and red egg. Toss lightly to mix and transfer to a serving dish.
- In another bowl, stir together chili flakes, brown sugar, vinegar, nam pla, calamansi juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss again to coat with the dressing.
- Serve immediately or cool in the fridge an hour prior to serving.