- 12 large sized shell-on prawns, butterflied with heads intact
- 6 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 stalks green onions, roughly chopped and keep some of the green parts for garnish (garnish is optional)
- 1 whole garlic, minced finely
Seasoning for garlic mixture:
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- 3 tbsps Chinese Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cooking oil
Marinade for prawns:
- 1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsps salt
- Firstly, clean the prawns and remove the whiskers and the legs. With a pair of sharp kitchen shears, gently butterfly the prawn and remove the entrails. With the kitchen shears, make a slight cavity in the prawn but be careful not to cut too deep to avoid a ‘hole’. The minced garlic mixture will later be placed into the cavity of each prawn. Repeat with remaining prawns.
- Marinade the prawns in the above for about 1 hour.
- Prepare a large wok for steaming. Mix the minced garlic with the above seasoning and set aside. Fill the wok with water and bring to a rapid boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil, spoon the garlic mixture into the cavities of the prawns. Place the slices of ginger and green onions on a plate for steaming and place the prawns on top, making sure they lie in a single layer on top of the ginger and green onions.
- Once the water is rapidly boiling, place the prepared prawns and steam for about 5-8 minutes. Remember to check at the 5 minute mark for doneness to avoid overcooked prawns. Garnish with additional green onions if using. Serve immediately.