- 3 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Cut into 2-inch cubes
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
For the Mandarin Orange Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Chili Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sherry
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
For Preparation and Serving:
- Canola Oil, Or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 11 ounce can Mandarin Oranges, Drained
- Chopped Scallions and Sesame Seeds, For garnish
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade to a large bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients. Add the cubed chicken and toss to coat. Let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- Get a large pot heating up with oil over medium heat. Whatever size pot you use, only fill the pot halfway up so the oil doesn’t boil over. Clip your thermometer to the side of the pot and let it heat up until it reaches 375 degrees.
- While the chicken is marinating and the oil is heating up, you can get the sauce together by adding the sesame oil to a medium pot. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Add in the rest of the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch, stir and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch together in a small dish with 3 tablespoons of water, then slowly pour into the sauce while whisking. Bring to a boil once again then turn the heat off, cover and set aside.
- When your oil reaches about 375 degrees you can start frying the chicken. Take the chicken out of the marinade a few pieces at a time and carefully add them to the oil. Fry for 5-6 minutes, then remove to a paper towel lined plate and start your next batch of chicken.
- Once the chicken is all fried, add it to a large bowl along with the mandarin oranges.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and oranges and toss to coat.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds and serve immediately.