- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed, boned, and skin slashed Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 Tbsp. mirin or white wine
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Place oven rack about 8 inches from heat source; Turn oven on broiler.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper;
- Place thighs skin side up on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet fitted with flat wire rack, tuck exposed meat under skin and lightly flatter thighs to have even thickness.
- Broil until skin is crisp and golden brown and thickest parts of thighs register 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 13- 15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time for even cooking.
- While chicken is cooking, combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan; stir together mirin and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps remain, and then stir mirin mixture into saucepan. Bring sauce to boil over medium-low, stirring occasionally until sauce forms syrupy glaze, about 2-3 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest for few minutes. Cut meat crosswise into strips. Place chicken to serving platter and drizzle with the teriyaki sauce. Serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.