For the cake
- 500 gram pack frozen grated cassava, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
For the topping
- 300 ml can sweetened condensed milk, about 1 1/4 cups (I used skim)
- 2 eggs yolks
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- From a 400 ml canned coconut cream, set aside 1 cup for the topping. Add just enough water to the remaining coconut cream to make 2 cups thin coconut milk (to be used in Step 3).
- Preheat oven to 190C (350F). Prepare a 9″ by 13″ baking pan by lining it with non-stick baking paper. Brush the bottom with a little butter.
- Cake:Beat eggs until foamy, then add the sugar, salt, and melted butter. Mix in the grated cassava and the 2 cups thin coconut milk (from Step 1).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Cook the topping while the cake is in the oven.
- Topping:In a double boiler, combine condensed milk, egg yolks, coconut cream (the 1 cup set aside from Step 1), and butter. Stir constantly while cooking until mixture is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Take cassava out of the oven when ready, then spread the topping evenly over it. Put the pan back into the oven and bake until top is golden brown, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan before cutting. Cake becomes firmer as it cools down.
- Slice and serve with coffee or tea. Enjoy!