- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce or dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or honey)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (optional)
- 3 Rock Cornish Hens, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the Cornish Hens and seal, turning and squeezing just a little so the marinade coats the hens well. Refrigerate for 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425° F/ 220° C (or heat grill)
- Remove the hens from the marinade and pat dry. Pour the leftover marinade into a saucepan.
- Sprinkle the hens with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Arrange hens, skin side up, in a roasting pan. Roast until browned and cooked through, about 30-40 minutes and internal temperature is 160 degrees (hens will continue to cook when removed from the oven). Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- While the hens are cooking, cook the marinade on low heat until it reduces into a thick syrup. It should coat the back of a spoon. Spoon the sauce over the hens before serving.