Take your taste-buds on a journey with these authentic baked chickpea and lemon falafel balls.
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbs olive oil, plus extra to brush
1/3 cup (90g) tahini
1 tablespoon honey
120g rocket or baby spinach leaves
500g punnet mixed heirloom tomatoes, halved
1. To make falafel, whiz cumin, coriander, garlic, flour, bicarbonate of soda, lemon zest, chickpeas, parsley and half the onion in a food processor to a coarse paste.
2. Using 2 tablespoonfuls mixture for each falafel, form into 12 walnut-sized balls.
3. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
5. Place falafel on the baking tray. Press the tops to flatten slightly, then brush with extra oil. Bake, turning halfway through, for 25 minutes or until golden.
6. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
7. Meanwhile, to make the tahini dressing, whisk oil, tahini, honey, lemon juice and 2 tbs water together in a bowl. Season and set aside until ready to serve.
8. Combine rocket, tomato and remaining onion on a platter. Top with cooled falafel and serve with the tahini dressing.