- Half tub of clarified butter (or just plain salted butter)
- Half cup of all purpose flour
- Half cup sliced fresh mushrooms (button and portobello)
- Half cup fish broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- a pinch of powdered nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Salt to taste but approximately 1/8 teaspoon should be ok
- 1 package grated cheddarella
- 1/4 package quickmelt cheese
- 1 small diced onion
- Tilapia Fillets (thawed and washed – or you can use Sole)
- Steam fish in steamer with salt and pepper. Use drippings as base of fish broth (just add water to make the required volume).
- In a deep skillet or sauce pan, melt butter. gradually add all purpose flour. Mix well and heat for a few minutes making sure that the flour gets thoroughly soaked with the butter (it will clump if there is dry flour left). Add fish broth gradually then the heavy cream. Let simmer. Add pepper and salt and nutmeg. Add grated cheese gradually. Mixture will start to thicken.
- Sauted Mushroom garnish:
- Saute chopped onions with salt and pepper in olive oil (low heat) until caramelized. Add mushrooms.
Putting it together:
- Fillet fish topped with the mornay sauce on one half (half of the fish is showing) then place sauted mushroom garnish on the mornay sauce side.