Sfouf is a sweet anise-infused cake decorated with almonds that is popular in Lebanon. The dessert gets its beautiful golden hue from turmeric, a powerful antioxidant with anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. This is a simple, healthy, low fat and easy-to-make cake bound to wow you and your loved ones!
1 cup fine semolina flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 tablespoons aniseed
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup almonds, blanched, peeled, and halved
- Grease and line the bottom of one 8-inch round cake pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil water. Add aniseed, cover, and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the aniseed tea and keep aside until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl whisk together semolina, all-purpose flour, baking powder, turmeric powder ,and caster sugar.
- Add anise tea and oil to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Decorate with almond halves.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. If it is not clean, bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the pan after 10 minutes sitting out. Run a knife around the edges and invert onto the cooling rack.
- Slice when cold.