- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil or other light vegetable oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion diced
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 8 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 to 6 crimini or baby portabella mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons light miso
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sliced scallions for topping
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté with a pinch of salt and pepper until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the broth to the pot and the mushrooms. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 27 minutes.
- Whisk in the miso until fully dissolves. Add the tamari and simmer for another 3 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in bowls with chopped scallions on top.