- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- cheddar cheese (sliced thinly in small strips about 1 cm wide and 2 cm long/ according to your preference)
- 1 tablespoon flavoring (pandan/ strawberry)
- 1 drop food coloring of choice (green/red)
- Sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and sugar) and combine in one large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (milk, coconut milk, butter, eggs) in another smaller bowl. Mix.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Add the flavoring and food coloring. Mix well.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the batter into the muffin pan/cupcake molds, until just about full.
- Steam for about 7 minutes. Make sure to place a cheesecloth in between the puto cups/muffin pan and the lid of the steamer. This will help prevent water dripping onto your putos, which will not allow it to rise properly.
- Place a strip of cheese on top of each puto, and continue steaming them for another 3 minutes. If you’re using processed quickmelting cheese, steam for just a minute.
- Take the putos out of the steamer and let cool.
- and FINISHED! So easy. This is one of my daughter’s favorite recipes. She likes making putos and giving them away as gifts.