- 1 cup White sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 pinch Cream of tartar
ingredients for the flan:
- 9 Egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups Evaporated milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsps Spanish Brandy
- Preheat the oven to 350_F. Combine the water and the sugar together in a non-stick frying pan. Cook over low heat and allow to caramelize until light golden brown. Do not disturb the mixture. Occasional tilting of the pan is allowed to even out the temperature.
- Divide the caramel between two medium loaf pans measuring 7 ¾ by 4 by 2 inches. Tilt the pan to allow the caramel to cover the bottom and sides of the molder. Be careful; use kitchen mitts or a towel to hold the pan as the pan can get very hot once the caramel has been poured in.
- To prepare the flan, combine the sugar and the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Strain the mixture using a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Divide the mixture equally among the prepared baking pans.
- Set the pans on a large baking dish half filled with water. Add a teaspoon or so of cream of tartar to the water so as not to discolor the larger pan.
- Bake for 1 hour an 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the baine marie for 30 minutes. Remove the pans from the water bath and chill for at least an hour before unmolding.