- Beef flank or sirloin, partially frozen — 1 pound
- Soy sauce — 2 tablespoons
- Sherry or rice wine — 1 tablespoon
- Sugar — 2 teaspoons
- Egg white — 1
- Water — 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch — 1/4 cup
- Flour — 1/4 cup
- Salt — 1/2 teaspoon
- Water or chicken stock — 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce — 1/4 cup
- Rice wine or sherry vinegar — 2 tablespoons
- Sherry or rice wine — 2 tablespoons
- Sesame oil — 2 teaspoons
- Sugar — 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch — 1 tablespoon
- Dried red chile peppers — 2 or 3
- Scallions, finely chopped — 3
- Ginger, minced — 2 tablespoons
- Garlic, mined — 2 or 3 cloves
- Red bell pepper, julienne — 1
- Carrot, julienne — 1
- Oil for deep frying
- Slice the beef into thin strips. Putting the beef into the freezer until it is partially frozen makes this easier. Add the beef and marinade ingredients to a bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the batter, beat the egg white with the water, and then stir in the cornstarch, flour and salt until smooth. Set the batter aside.
- Stir together the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Adjust seasoning to your taste, then stir in the cornstarch and set aside.
- Prepare all of the vegetables for the stir fry and have them close at hand, along with the sauce and the beef.
- Heat 4 to 5 cups of vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high flame. Mix the batter into the beef strips. Drop 1/3 of the beef into the hot oil and deep fry until browned and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining beef, deep frying it in batches.
- Pour out all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of the oil (the oil can be strained and used again) and return to medium-high heat. Add the chile peppers and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Add the scallions, ginger and garlic and stir fry for about 1 minute, taking care not to burn it. Add the peppers and carrots and continue stir frying until cooked through but still crunchy.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Give the sauce a big stir to mix in the cornstarch and pour into the wok. Toss together with the vegetables and cook until the sauce is heated through and lightly thickened.
- Add the beef and toss to coat. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.