Ingredients for gujiya:-
1 cup Maida
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
Unsalted butter or Ghee
A pinch of Salt
1- 2 tablespoon Milk
1/4 cup Superfine Sugar
2 tablespoon Milk
10-12 pieces of Raisins
12-15 pieces of Almonds
12-15 pieces of Pistachios
2 tablespoon of Cashew pieces
Green Cardamom powder
1 teaspoon Saffron strands
SUGAR SYRUP – OPTIONAL
1/2 cup Sugar
4 tablespoon Water
1/4 -1/2 teaspoon
Green Cardamom powder
1 teaspoon Rose water
Few pieces of Saffron strands
How to make Gujiya:–
1. Assemble all the ingredients needed for gujiya dough.
2. In a big bowl combine all the ingredients….
3. And knead a soft pliable dough.
4. Cover the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes.
1. Meanwhile let’s begin with our gujiya filling. Assemble all the ingredients.
2. In a heavy bottom pan add mawa, dry coconut and toast them on low heat. Toast for 15 minutes on a low flame and as shown in the third picture when the mixture turns light brown in color, add saffron strand. Mix and take it off the flame.
3. In a separate kadhai add nuts (except raisins)and toast them on a medium flame. Once they start omitting their aroma, take it off the flame and allow it to cool completely. Ground them in a coffee grinder until it turns into a fine powder. Add this nutty mixture to the mawa mixture along with raisins.
4. Stir it well. Add sugar, milk and mix until everything is well- blended.
5. This mixture should be moist. To check – take some mixture in your hands, squeeze and if it forms a soft ball, it’s perfect and if its still crumbly add few more drops of milk to form a soft ball.
1. Making Gujiyas without the mould. Take a small golf size ball of the dough.
2. Roll it into a thin circle.
3. In the half fold, place some gujiya mixture.
4. Fold gujiya into the half.
5. Apply water along the edges and seal it tight.
6. Using a fork SECURE the edges by making imprints of the fork.
7. Gujiya is ready for frying.
1. If making gujiya with a mould, follow the directions below.
2. Roll out a disc shaped circle.
3. Like a blanket place, this rolled out dough over the mould.
4. Fill the gujiya mixture at the base. Apply water along the edges.
5. Flip over the top and firmly press the mould- seal the edges.
6. Using a knife trim off the excess dough and mix it with rest of the dough.
7. Perfectly shaped gujiya in a mould.
8. This is how the finished gujiya looks like.
9. All the gujiyas should be sealed properly or they will open up during frying.
10. Gujiyas are ready for an oil bath.
11. This is what is left of the gujiya mixture.
1. Heat oil in a pan. When ready for frying, lower the flame and fry gujiyas until golden brown in colour.
2. Remove from oil and drain it on the paper towel.
3. Gujiyas are ready.
1. Let’s prepare the sugar syrup. Combine all the ingredients in a pan and on a medium flame bring it to a boil. Scum will start forming on top of the liquid.
2. Using a spoon, collect and discard. I had to remove it twice during the whole boiling process. Keep boiling till the liquid is reduced and it starts to thickens.
3. Lower the heat, dip a spoon in the syrup and remove. Do not touch for the first few seconds, it will be very hot. Touch the syrup with your finger and if it coats your finger it means that it is about to reach its first string consistency.
4. I have prepared one string sugar syrup for this recipe. To test – press your forefinger and thumb together. Start pulling them apart.
5. If the thread/string between your finger and thumb doesn’t break after pulling apart, the single thread or 1 string sugar syrup is ready. Take it off the flame and continue with the recipe.
6. Drain the hot syrup.
7. Clean hot sugar syrup /chashni will look like this. Dip each Gujiya in this syrup for 2-3 minutes and set it on a clean plate. If baking the gujiya – follow the same procedure.
8. The inner look.
9. Sugar glazed Gujiyas are all set and ready to be eaten!!
Ice cream is a yummy dessert recipe enjoyed by all ages of people. This is a simple yet delicious recipe make with just 3 main ingredients. If you couldn't find cream near your place I have a video without cream as well – Egg less ice cream recipe and using custard powder, lets get started.
BRIDGET WHITE – ANGLO-INDIAN COOKERY BOOKS