- Wonton wrappers ( the ones used for siomai )
- 1/4 kilo shrimps ( shelled and deveined ) – then chop finely
- 2 tsps. of finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp Chinese Rice Wine – you can buy this at the supermarkets or you can use dry sherry wine.
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp sugar
- In a deep bowl mix all the ingredients above into the marinade and let it stand for at least an hour. You can prepare this ahead of time and keep it in the freezer till it is time for you to use it.
- Wrapping wonton is actually quite easy and fun. You have to work with one wonton wrapper at a time. Simply separate them and lay them side by side on a damp paper towel to avoid them from drying out. Place a teaspoon of the shrimp filling onto the middle of the wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper and gather to seal. Another way to seal is — to twist gently with wet hands. The easiest way is like the photo above.. you just pinch the edges of the wonton wrapper but what I do is to shape it like little pouches which makes it easier to eat.
- Heat enough cooking oil on a deep skillet and drop wontons one by one. Since my skillet was not that big I dropped 5 at a time. You can also use a pair of wooden chopsticks while doing this.
- Fry for about 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown. You will know when they are done …. is when the wontons float upwards.
- Serve with soy sauce