- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, sliced and seeds removed
- 150g (5oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250ml (8fl oz) white wine
- 1-1¼kg (2-2½lb) mussels, soaked and beards removed
- 3tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the spring onions, garlic, chilli and tomatoes. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Add the wine and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels to the pan and increase the heat to high. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the mussels have opened, giving the saucepan an occasional shake to help them release their juices.
- Add the parsley and stir well. Season to taste, remembering that mussels are naturally salty. Serve the mussels and broth in large wide bowls with plenty of crusty bread.